Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Qualcast Suffolk Punch - Ignition Spark Problem

"paulbed4d" wrote
My first post. Hope this is the correct section to post this question.

I've recently gotten hold of a old suffolk punch petrol lawnmower. Was
running ok and was looking forward to using in on my lawn.

Pulled it out of the shed at the weekend and thought i'd give it a good
clean for the season. I decided the best thing to do would be to spray
the engine, in fact the entire mower, in enginer degreaser, leave it
running for a while then pressure wash it. On reflection probably not
the best idea. The old saying goes "if it's not broken, dont mend it!"

Not long after i'd started pressure washing, the mower cut out and now
has about as much life in it as a dodo!! There is just no spark at the
plug.

I had assumed that water must have gotten into the ignition system and
hoped that if i left it for a few days it would dry out and everything
would be fine and dandy. But no! Three days later and still nothing.

Can anyone help? Do you think i have broken anything or do you think it
is still simply damp and needs more time to dry out? Is there anything i
can do to try and solve the problem or help dry it out? I have read
about megneto coil but not sure what this is?

Any help much appreciated!!

Probably still a water problem, if the ignition lead is as old as the
machine it's probably cracked and porous so if you can replace it you may
solve the problem. A spray with WD40 over the old lead may cure it (until
the next time).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden