Old 22-03-2009, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default convert a soil warming cable into a heating mat

Jenny wrote:
Hi I have a soil warming cable and thermostat that I used to have in a
sand box on a bench in my greenhouse. However it was very heavy and my
bench collapsed. So I thought I would update my bench and propagator and
use the soil warming cable to make a pad similar to this.

http://www.keengardener.co.uk/produc...cm-(42w).rails

So what type of material should I use to make the pad from? And how would
I fix the cable to the material? I suppose I could put it in the middle
of two layers and sew it in place with nylon fishing line but would that
melt with the heat?

I did try using a sheet of expanded polystyrene but the cable is melting
into it plus I used cable clips and they keep coming out of the
polystyrene and I am worried it might catch fire.

So any suggestions?
Thanks, Jenny

Why not use perlite or vermiculite instead of sand?

--
Jeff