Old 24-03-2009, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
D. Arlington[_2_] D. Arlington[_2_] is offline

Default Squirrels or birds? What's digging up my pumpkin seeds?

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
I planted my kabocha pumpkin seeds a few days ago about an inch deep in
very damp soil and again, something has been digging them up and eating
the seeds, leaving the husks on the ground. Is it more likely squirrels
or birds? Both are very common here. Whatever it is evidently has a good
sense of smell. Otherwise I can't imagine that they would know where to
dig. How can I prevent this?

Dan

If it's only a small amount of seed you can germinate them indoors, then
plant them out as soon as the first pair of true leaves appear.