Old 24-03-2009, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Raising kids to be gardeners

Just like being literate a good example is primary. Some times
children forced to do anything just shuts down the process . Of course
not everyone has access to a potential garden. Community gardens can
and do fill the gap. But nothing beats going out back and playing in
the dirt all year long. Coupled with a garden catalogue perhaps some
garden art. Visits to all sort s of gardens simple and formal may
inspire.
If ones parents are not involved perhaps a crazy aunt or uncle can
substitute. I'm reminded of the star trek captain at academy whose
mentor was a gardener. The love and interest in nature can be learned
but not forced. To bring out the wonder is a hope and I feel a good
description of maturity.

Bill Inspire = to keep spirt in

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA