Old 24-03-2009, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default "cow manure & compost" really a mulch?

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:09:15 -0500, "OhioGuy" wrote:

I just bought about a dozen bags of "Organic Valley" cow manure & compost.
When I spread it out, small wood pieces made up roughly 1/3 of the whole
composition!

The wood certainly is not composted, and I certainly would not feel right
about selling something marketed as a composted cow manure and compost, when
it has this much foreign matter.

Does this sort of thing happen often in the industry?

By cutting product with a less expensive one, the company increases
profit. Laundry soap has been playing the filler and
measuring-cup-size game a long time. Often, cow manure that is
packaged for retail is mixed with compost, peat or sand. 100% cow
manure is no longer locally available, as it was 5 years ago.

Not good if your mix contained a large amount of wood chips, buy no
more. Better yet, tell us which brand to avoid. My woodshop
produces more wood chips than I can give away, sure they compost but
take an extra long time.