Old 25-03-2009, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

Default "cow manure & compost" really a mulch?

On Mar 24, 12:09*pm, "OhioGuy" wrote:
* I just bought about a dozen bags of "Organic Valley" cow manure & compost.
When I spread it out, small wood pieces made up roughly 1/3 of the whole
composition!

* The wood certainly is not composted, and I certainly would not feel right
about selling something marketed as a composted cow manure and compost, when
it has this much foreign matter.

* Does this sort of thing happen often in the industry?

oh yeah, and the other thing, like the guy mentioned, it's somehow
always sopping wet, even though lately i've been taking care to get
the bags before they've been rained on at the store. it hadn't
occurred to me that they're soaked a priori to up the weight, but that
makes sense. honestly, it's so damn messy, i'd be happy to pay more it
it were dry. (i've tried some of the "dehydrated" stuff which comes in
a thinner bag with less weight, but it's still not dry)