Old 27-03-2009, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TheOldFellow TheOldFellow is offline

Default What do you use to poison tree stumps?

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:01:42 +0000
Chris ] wrote:

What do you use to poison tree stumps?
And how long does it take before the stump can easily be dug up?

Copper nails will kill a tree, so I guess they would kill a stump.

Easy digging is a function of how soon it rots, in particular how soon
the main roots rot. Hardwood 10-50+ years, softwood 3-10+ years. You
can speed it up a bit by drilling lots of long holes (say 300mm) into it
with an auger - it helps the fungi get right to the middle.

If it's under 150mm trunk diameter I'd dig round it at about half metre
distance, cut the main roots with a saw, then drag it out with a
winch. Takes about a day to do, then a week's bed rest Anything
bigger needs a proper stump grinder, and the skill to use it.

R.
(I have two to do )