Old 13-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Christopher

Default How many watts per gallon should I install?

a 37g tank is 24" high? if its 18" deep wouldn't that make it 20" wide?

"LeighMo" wrote in message
My substrate will be flourite and I'm gonna install
undergravel heating cables. I'm hoping to stay away from CO2, but I'll
probably use Flourish Excel on a basis for the carbon and Flourish
for other nutrients.

Don't bother with undergravel heating cables. You'd be much better off

putting
that money toward a CO2 system and/or more lighting. Undergravel heating

is of
very limited value. Not worth the trouble, IMO.

If I go with three bulbs I
would have 60W or 1.62 wpg. Is that too much for a non CO2 tank?

No. That would be a very low light tank, especially given the almost 2'

depth.

With four
bulbs, I'd be at 2.16 wpg, which I'm thinking is definately too much for

no
CO2.

I think that would be just right. Around two watts per gallon is good for

non-injected tank. As long as you stay under 3 wpg, you should be okay.

(I
have 2.25 wpg of PCF light over my low-tech tank.)

Leigh