Old 06-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Penny Evans Penny Evans is offline
Registered User

Location: York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Having now got my shed delivered I would like to apply some kind of
application that would protect it against rot and the weather elements
especially to the underside of the floor as I would only have one chance
to do this before the shed is erected.

Most people seem to recommend a spirit-based application. Is that better
than a water-based treatment?

I went to the Cuprinol website but, for the life of me, I could not work
out which of their shed treatment products were spirit based.

What do guys here recommend?

Ed

I bought a shed a few weeks ago from a website and it mentioned that the product came with a free factory-applied, water-based treatment. I paid seperately for what was called a 'high quality wood preservative' which was recommended. I can only assume that a water based treatment is possibly a light preserve to protect it in transit and that a thicker preservative will give it longevity. The description mentioned the bought preservative would help protect the wood from wood rot and fungal decay.

My husband applied one tub of the preservative for our 7x5 shed and he's satisfied that it will keep it looking nice and lasting for the foreseeable. So I would say, go for the spirit rather than the water-based.