Old 09-04-2009, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gray gray is offline

Default Cherry tree on Colt rootstock

Gisela 5 is really only suited for dwarf potted use. Most GC's do not
stock Gisela 5 as a norm.

All the cherries I grow are on Colt and only grow to max of 8 to 10ft
tall. I always take the centre out so the branches bend downwards.
Makes life easier when you cover the tree against the blackbirds, and
then hopefully picking them.

Also height is dependant on type of soil and nutient levels etc. I am
on heavy clay with sand 2 ft below. Also dependant on variety, I use
Stella, Merton Glory and a Polish Morello