Old 13-04-2009, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Blood Fish and Bone

The message
from "Graham Harrison" contains
these words:

The question about peeing on compost reminded me of a question I would like
to ask.....

If I cook (fry) myself a piece of unfilleted fish could I put the
remains in
the blender and make myself fish bone? And if I remove the head before
cooking and blend that raw do I get blood fish and bone? The answer in
purely literal terms to both questions is "yes" but then is either of any
use as a garden fertiliser?

Up to a point, Lord Copper.

The blood constituent is usually gash blood from abattoirs, and from
condemned cattle. (In the widest meaning of cattle)

The fish bit is fishmeal, and that is the dried offal, fins, tails,
heads, (otherwise) useless fish (and a lot caught for the purpose).

Bone is provided by cattle again, and is taken from condemned carcases too.

While your fish-in-a-liquidiser will be useful, it won't have nearly as
long-lasting effects as stuff made from the usual sources, and it won't
have the same amount of nitrogen, as the blood content will be low.

I seal-up bones in plastic bags until I want to plant something woody
(I'm planting a persimmon over the last resting place of a roe deer) I
bung those at the bottom of the pit, and add any old leather I can lay
my hands on, and any moffed or otherwise worn-out woollens as the
next-best-thing to a carcase.

--
Rusty