Old 13-04-2009, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Blood Fish and Bone

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Spider wrote:

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
The question about peeing on compost reminded me of a question I would
like to ask.....

If I cook (fry) myself a piece of unfilleted fish could I put the remains
in the blender and make myself fish bone? And if I remove the head
before cooking and blend that raw do I get blood fish and bone? The
answer in purely literal terms to both questions is "yes" but then is
either of any use as a garden fertiliser?

Yes is the basic answer but, of course, just as in using blood, fish and
bone, you will have trouble with interested foxes, dogs, cats, rats, other
carrion eaters. Neither can the 'dose' be measured but, if you're okay with
that, you've got yourself a fertiliser.

I vaguely remember a Gardeners' World presenter (Geoff Hamilton, perhaps?)
burying a heap of chopped fish, then planting something in the earth on top
of it. Alas, I don't remember the outcome. Perhaps someone else here will.

I heard once that it was the custom (where? - I don't know) when
planting a new rose to put a dead fish in the bottom of the hole.

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France