Old 13-04-2003, 06:33 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Placement of Compost Bin

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 23:58:13 +0100, Adrian Jones wrote:

I've been given a plastic compost bin. Does it have to be placed in sun?
The area I want to put it is in dense shade - against a north wall with no
sun whatsoever.

Site your compost bin for function, not looks. Keep in mind the
old saw "out of sight, out of mind." Put it somewhere that is
very convenient for you, perhaps quite close to the principal
door of the house. Put it on or adjacent to a paved area if
possible: that will come in handy when you are screening compost
before putting it onto the garden.

If you try to hide your bin. letting esthetics rule, you will
find yourself not putting garden wastes into it, not watering it,
not turning it. What, then, is the point?

Though compost bins are not things of beauty, they are honest
functional appurtenances, and you should have no shame about
putting yours out in full view, if that's the most functional
location.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada