Old 15-04-2009, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Orthenex

I love 'em too. My mother had them when she married dad, and I always made
sure I took her some when I went home to visit.

Diana

"eeyore" wrote in message
Thanks again. I did wander over there and did see one new text post in
over four months. Hope I'm not permanently banned for placing gardenias
over orchids, just love the smell.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
The other site has been slow, but it is in use. Since most (AFAIK) still
can access this group, there hasn't been a pressing need to use that one.
But the binaries group is a blessing.

Diana

"eeyore" wrote in message
Thanks for the info. Almost sacrilegious, but I might pick gardenia's
over orchids if I could get them to grow bug free (and keep cat away) in
my 20'th floor "garden". So far I've resorted to hand squashing (bugs
not cats), but afraid things might get out of hand. On a side note, is
anyone posting to the "other" orchid site (sorry I don't remember the
gentleman's name who graciously set it up)? I see new binaries but
never text posts.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Gardenias are thrip magnets, for sure. Other things seem to like them
as well. I'm really debating cutting mine down. It would be tough,
because outside of orchids, gardenias are my favorite flowers.

Thrips move fast. To the naked eye, they look thin and black. They can
take out a Vanda spike faster than you can blink an eye.

Diana

"eeyore" wrote in message
A bit off topic, but I was growing my orchids next to a gardenia plant
(which seem to be bug magnets) and have what I've been thinking is
mealy bugs. Though cottony scale sounds like it could also be a
candidate. I looked on google and scale seems to move slowly and my
"pets" move quickly when disturbed. How do you tell the difference?

"Chris Savas" wrote in message
ng.com...
Hi, all,

I have been using Orthenex in my general insect controll spraying. I
have
been buying and using the 16 Fl oz size, but have run out. I have
looked in
five different stores and can't find it.

So, what should I look for to use on my orchids (just over 100
plants)? I have
spotted a couple of plants that have some cottony scale. I have
used it
because it is systemic.

Thanks.
Chris in Central Florida
(Remove not from the address to respond directly.)

.