Old 15-04-2009, 06:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Nan Nan is offline

Default Neon Green Slime on top of pond

On Apr 14, 4:28 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Nan wrote:
On Apr 7, 4:04 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Nan & Rich Zitney wrote:

This is a new one for us in 20 years of ponding. This stuff lays on
top of the water, which is clear under it. I tried skimming it off
but it is so fine much of it just goes thru the skimmer. We have a
sidewall skimmer, and 3 barrel filtration system. Brushes in the
first, springflo in the 2nd, and quilting batting in the 3rd. DH
just cleaned them and said he'd never seen so much muck/mulm. The
rows of brushes were so heavy with gunk that it too 2 hands to lift
them out!! Back to the green stuff, it sticks to everything, even
hands, mine were neon when I took them out. It gets on the fishies
noses when they eat. UV light was just reinstalled Friday, and
water under slim e is clear. What is this crud, and how do I get
rid of it? I've thought of seining it off with some fabric, but
thought I'd check here first. Also, DH put our yearly salt dose in
a week or 2 ago.

Thanks for any ideas or help. BTW this is not an oil slick, no
rainbows or anything other than GREEN!!!
Nan in DE

The colour makes me think of Spirogyra. Could it be in early stages
and n ot filamentous yet?
--
Pete C
London UK

Thanks Pete, We'll check out the possibility. Seems to be better wit

the UV light on for a few days.
Nan
De

Hows things?
--
Pete C
London UK

Pond has cleared of the slime on top. DH lowered the water level
making the 'pull' at the sidewall skimmer stronger and that did the
job. We had hooked up the UV light and added a Dunk(BT) as there were
lots of little flying critters just above the water. We are in a
wooded area, with much dampness and skeeters are a huge problem. And
he had added our annual 20 #'s of salt, so I'm sure it was a
combination of things that got it cleared.
Man that stuff was really neon. Glad it's gone!! Thanks for all the
ideas everyone. All help gratefully accepted.
Nan in DE