Old 16-04-2009, 06:18 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Richard Evans Richard Evans is offline

Default Here Come the Deer again

"Sue" wrote:

Dog hair. Specifically, undercoat gleanings from the dog brush.
Put a handful at the base of the roses and water it in. It will stick flat
to the ground all summer long. Works for me and my veggie garden...
let us know if it works for you! If you don't have a dog with an undercoat,
maybe ask a friend, or your local groomer.

I have two dogs and a small herd of deer that live in the woods
around my house. The deer pay no attention whatsoever to the dogs. The
dogs are in a fenced yard, so they can't actually chase the deer, but
the deer commonly graze on one side of the fence with the dogs barking
like crazy on the other.

One day I looked out my window to see a doe almost nose to nose on the
opposite side of the fence with one of the dogs. The dog was barking,
the doe seemed mildly curious. Eventually, the doe took off running
alongside the fence, the dog followed on its side. I expected the doe
to reach the end of the fence and continue into the woods. Instead,
she reached the end, stopped, turned around, and the two raced back to
the starting point. Only then did the doe calmly walk off into the
woods.

I'm glad your technique works for you, but I wouldn't bank on it..