Old 19-04-2009, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default What to do with dead squirrel?

Pat wrote:
On Apr 19, 10:24 am, Dan Musicant ) wrote:
Last evening I saw it, traumatized by a blow to the head or neck from
the rat trap it had hit in my backyard. The trap was tethered to a tree.
The bugger (or its cousin) has been digging up my newly planted squash
seeds and this is the only way I've been able to control (somewhat) the
problem.

This morning it's surely dead (I saw one, maybe the same one) that was
evidently stunned from hitting the trap a few days ago, looking dead,
but when I turned my back it darted away.

Warm weather is expected the next few days here in Berkeley, CA (~80
degrees) and wonder about putting it in plastic bags (nested) in my
trash container, pickup being Wednesday morning. Call a city agency?
Bury it in my back yard? What would you do?

Dan

Too bad you waited so long, but it's probably salvageable. Skin it,
gut it, cut it up and add it to spaghetti sauce. They are good eating.

No dead squirrels here, but I do get the occasional dead bird after they
have turf battles with their reflections in my sliding doors (in spite
of keeping them dirty and using those raptor shadow stickers). I just
pick them up with the trusty scoop shovel, and chuck them over the fence
into the woods. Something eats them.

--
aem sends...