Old 27-04-2009, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_2_] Broadback[_2_] is offline

Default brassica seedlings and pests

Cat(h) wrote:
This week end I planted out some lettuce seedlings, cabbage and
broccoli seedlings.
I have the pigeon angle covered, with old CDs dangling from bamboo
sticks over the seedlings (one with an old copy of Norton anti-
virus... we'll have to see whether that works better than Tom Jones'
best of, which came free with the Sunday Times last year...).
I also have the anti-slug down. However, I seem to recall
recommendations to put "collars" made of bits of old carpet or plastic
sheeting at the base of the seedlings to keep some fly at bay. What
is the fly, and how soon do I need to do this?
What about the cabbage caterpillar (cabbage white?) - is there
anything I can do at this early stage re. this?

TIA!
Caít()

I bought a roll of the stuff used to lay on bricks as a damp course. I
then cut off about 6 " lengths, cut through about 1/3 then a small hole
at the end of the cut. 2 of these laid opposite each other does the job
for me. They last for many seasons as well.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.