Old 28-04-2009, 02:03 PM posted to triangle.gardens
[email protected] pakrat@usenet.pr.neotoma.org is offline

Default Rotten strawberries

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 20:56:30 -0400 in Richard Evans wrote:
KTTT wrote:

Mulch will help to reduce rotting significantly since the surface of the
mulch will dry out much faster than that of top soil after watering.

Even if the mulch does not dry out fast, because of the coarse nature of
the mulch, there is less surface area where the strawberry and the mulch
are in contact with one another. Less wet surface area translated to
less rotting.

What kind of mulch do you recommend? Pine straw? Bark? Pulverized
rubber? Bear in mind I only have eight plants in a circular three-foot
container.

I'd probably opt for a layer or few of a light colored spun fabric (Like
the weed stop stuff, but white/off white). If you put in a chunk of pipe
or hose so you can water from the bottom without splashing dirt, white
plastic should work as well.
And then there's always straw and pine straw...

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.