Old 29-04-2009, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default To compost/mulch or not to compost/mulch

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

I've lopped some branches off a Sitka spruce and have put everything
small enough through a shredder.

What experience here can I draw on, please?

There are no termites on the isles ... I hope. (Incidentally, NZ
flatworms seem to have died the death this past chilly winter).

I use chipped conifers for paths (ideally, lying on top of carpet
with a canvas back) and it lasts for years;

I beat you by nearly two hours. :-)

which tells me it wouldn't do much good in either a compost heap or as
a surface mulch to feed soil and plants

Janet.

Smells nice to walk on though...
--