Old 30-04-2009, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default brassica seedlings and pests

On Apr 27, 4:51*pm, Broadback wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
This week end I planted out some lettuce seedlings, cabbage and
broccoli seedlings.
I have the pigeon angle covered, with old CDs dangling from bamboo
sticks over the seedlings (one with an old copy of Norton anti-
virus... we'll have to see whether that works better than Tom Jones'
best of, which came free with the Sunday Times last year...).
I also have the anti-slug down. *However, I seem to recall
recommendations to put "collars" made of bits of old carpet or plastic
sheeting at the base of the seedlings to keep some fly at bay. *What
is the fly, and how soon do I need to do this?
What about the cabbage caterpillar (cabbage white?) - is there
anything I can do at this early stage re. this?

TIA!
Caít()

I bought a roll of the stuff used to lay on bricks as a damp course. I
then cut off about 6 " lengths, cut through about 1/3 then a small hole
at the end of the cut. 2 of these laid opposite each other does the job
for me. They last for many seasons as well.

Thanks for that suggestion. I'm affraid I planted without earlier
planning beyond the anti-pigeon CDs and the anti-slug blue-pellet
napalm, and have had no time to get back into the garden since - so
the above is a job for the week end. I hope it won't be too late :-(

Caít()