Old 02-05-2009, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Fertilizer to use

In article
,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Billy said:

In article ,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

snip a lot

Here's another link (it is a commercial site, but the info appears to be
good, and well organized):

http://www.extremelygreen.com/fertilizerguide.cfm

Good advice. I might recommend just plain ol' fish emulsion. Apparently
these plants need some nitrogen, even after they flower, although that
is when the potassium and phosphate needs go up.

Pat, why don't you augment your soil with clay (approx.. 20%) and
add some charcoal?

Everything that goes to the garden has to be hand trucked/barrowed
to the way back. I have a long, long, very narrow lot. How the would
I be able to get clay in a clean, spreadable form and move it back there?

In my old place, with a clay-based soil, I was able to have someone
with a large dump truck back right up to the garden an dump 7 yards
of mushroom compost on it. (This was 30 years ago or more and
it was cheap; basically had for the price of hauling! *sigh* Much
more competition for the good stuff now.)

I know you've been doing gardening longer than I have, so I won't preach
about the benefits of 10 - 20% clay in garden soil.

No day laborers where you live? It would be expensive to have
wheelbarrowed and dug in, but it would be a onetime expenditure and your
garden would hold nutrients longer. I'm on S.S. now, but only a couple
years back I would schlep in a small truck (Datsun) load of pummace, or
sand, or manure. Shovel it over my fence from the road into a pile, and
then distribute it around the hillside with a wheelbarrow (wheezing all
the while). I would take my time and do it as I could.

Since I started with clay, now I only need to grow cover crops (rye and
clover), and mulch with alfalfa to keep the worms and the soil happy.

Now I need to address another of my faux pas (I'm sure you know the
English translation for this;O)

Ol' alligator mouth Billy said:
Good advice. I might recommend just plain ol' fish emulsion. Apparently
these plants need some nitrogen, even after they flower, although that
is when the potassium and phosphate needs go up.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Tomatoes and peppers need a good jolt of nitrogen
and phosphate when they begin to flower. Melons are the same but they
can also benefit from side dressing when they start to "run".

UC Davis recommends 3 -4 tons of chicken manure per acre before planting
and side dressed with the same at flowering.

http://www.sfc.ucdavis.edu/Research/chili.html
Fertilization:
Chicken manure (three to four tons per acre) is custom applied a week or
more prior to listing.
--------
100 sq.ft. = 0.0022956841 acre.
8,000#/acre = 18.37#/ 100 sq.ft. Side dress with 18.37#/ 100 sq.ft.

Chicken Manure N - P - K: 1.1 - .8 - .5
100 lbs of chicken manure gives 1.1 lb of nitrogen

For side dressing, I'm planning on encircling my plants with chicken
manure and then mulching over the side dressing.

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publi...HG_2004-07.pdf
Recommends side dressing before flowering on cucumbers.
Anybody else?

Buddha, I wish it would stop raining (
--

- Billy