Old 04-05-2009, 08:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default Three sisters garden, day 1

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 May 2009 18:47:26 -0600, Suzanne D. wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
I've planted the first sister (corn), the others will follow when the
corn is 6" high.

My corn, planted about a week ago, is just now peeking through the soil!
--S.

Where are you located? I'm gambling a little, the usual planting time in
MA is memorial day but this week is going to be very rainy so I figured
it was worth the risk.

I am in southern Utah, zone 8-ish. The corn is the last thing I planted
(besides the other two sisters, who will come when the corn is about 5
inches tall). I probably could have planted it earlier, but I figured it
would grow slowly if it was planted to early, and would be about the same
height in a few weeks anyway. I planted it in my front yard! We can't seem
to grow grass there (the sun parches it), so I figured I'd just do corn with
drip irrigation! No point in wasting a perfectly good enormous front yard
on useless grass that will cost an arm and a leg to keep watered.
--S.