Old 04-05-2009, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Three sisters garden, day 1

On Mon, 04 May 2009 01:31:01 -0600, Suzanne D. wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 May 2009 18:47:26 -0600, Suzanne D. wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
I've planted the first sister (corn), the others will follow when the
corn is 6" high.

My corn, planted about a week ago, is just now peeking through the
soil! --S.

Where are you located? I'm gambling a little, the usual planting time
in MA is memorial day but this week is going to be very rainy so I
figured it was worth the risk.

I am in southern Utah, zone 8-ish. The corn is the last thing I planted
(besides the other two sisters, who will come when the corn is about 5
inches tall). I probably could have planted it earlier, but I figured
it would grow slowly if it was planted to early, and would be about the
same height in a few weeks anyway. I planted it in my front yard! We
can't seem to grow grass there (the sun parches it), so I figured I'd
just do corn with drip irrigation! No point in wasting a perfectly good
enormous front yard on useless grass that will cost an arm and a leg to
keep watered. --S.

Our climates are at opposite extremes, I have not enough sun and to much
water. I've had a massive wilt problem and the places where I can't grow
grass it's because there is so little sun that all that grows is moss.
I'm hoping that the three sisters method will help me because it raises
the plants up and the mounds are at a four foot distance between each
other which should improve the air flow.