Old 14-04-2003, 12:56 PM
John Nolan

Default Voles ate Our Daffodils !!

Hello Janet,
Many thanks for your contribution.

In article , Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from (IntarsiaCo) contains these words:

We can only assume that our plague of voles have done the damage

Most likely not, daffodils are somewhat toxic.

I agree. Our last garden had zillions of both voles

I wonder. Have you done anything about your voles ? Ours looks as thought
they are about to take off and multiply further this year. I am sure that it
will not help our vegetables, seedlings etc.

A few voles, OK, but a plague. No !

and multiplying
daffodils, and I never saw a chewed bulb, so I don't think it's the
voles killing yours.

On the toxicity of daffodils, things that are toxic to some mammals may not
be so toxic to others. But, obviously, if you had a plague of voles, also,
that would not explain why your experiences were so different.

I am just wondering if depth of planting could have had an effect.

Diseases and infestations such as narcissus fly can
ruin daffodil plantings;

Well, we certainly did not noaice anything except holes nearby. Does the
narcissus fly over winter I wonder.

At present, it is a sad mysetery.

if you bought a cheap job-lot from a market,
that might be the answer.

These were from Parkers of Manchester, who I think, are some of the most
reputable of suppliers.

They were a gift to my wife, from an old lady, Elsie Widdowson, who was a
top scientist and unlikely to go in for job lots.

--