Old 04-05-2009, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Lest we forget

people in the rest of the world where labor and management have something of mutual
respect have absolutely no idea of the hatred American business has for unions. My
father organized unions and I live in the area where union organizers were gunned
down. businesses will hire companies that specialize in preventing or breaking
unions and spend themselves into bankruptcy before they will deal with a union. they
will shut their business down before dealing with a union.

I had a temp job one summer and watched this process first hand. There were only 8
women (they would never hire a man) who did sterility testing (some wanted to join a
union). Because I was hired to write the procedural manuals he felt free to spew his
anti-union venom around me. It was an education!

What is particularly vicious is the banks are using taxpayer bailout money to lobby
congress against the latest attempt to level the playing field for unions, the "card
check" bill. I have a young friend raised by those of the corporate mentality and so
terrified of "others" that they would not think of leaving their pure white
suburban/rural village to come into our multi-racialethnic city for any reason
what-so-ever. She lives in a mental straight jacket and is only gradually emerging
in tiny steps. It is truly pathetic to see how limited her life is especially since
she is otherwise a highly intelligent and engaging person.

Thankfully, this new young next generation raised on the internet has been exposed to
a view of the world other than their parents terror and hatred of anybody and
anything different than themselves, and seems to be embracing a social philosophy of
inclusiveness.

Ingrid