Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Briggs & Stratton engine not running smoothly

"robinfrance" wrote in message

Hi everyone,

My first post on this forum, so a brief intro: we're Brits living in
northern France (Normandy) for the last four years, though hoping to
return to the UK in the new few months.

I have a mower with a Briggs and Stratton XP40 mower which is not
running well. This will be only its third year of use, and I've never
had a problem with it until now. I used it for the first time this year
a few weeks ago - no problem, seemed to be running as normal. I then got
it out again last week and found that it wasn't running smoothly. I
would say the engine seems to be "hunting" - almost like it's coughing
slightly - it sounds at various points as though it's going to die but
always manages to keep going. Two further symptoms: (1) puffs of black
smoke are visible by the grill on the L/H side, and (2) it used an
awful lot more petrol than usual when I cut the grass with it the other
day.

I'm no mechanic, but have done my best to do the basics in an attempt
to rule out obvious causes: I've cleaned the air filter (seems fine),
taken off the plastic engine cover and cleaned round everything I can,
and changed the oil. Doesn't seem to have made any difference.

One other thing I've noticed: when first starting the engine (even
after only a few minutes' break in running), it seems to run nice and
smoothly for maybe ten seconds or so before starting to cough and
splutter again.

I would have taken it in for repair, but there's only one place in the
vicinity and they have a 3 week wait! I'd be very grateful if anyone
has any ideas or suggestions. (N.B. I've looked on the B&S site, but so
far only found quite generic advice that hasn't helped me.)

It's running rich. Almost certainly due to air inlet restriction at some
point. What kind of air filter does it have? If it's a bit of sponge, you
can make a replacement from a pan scrubber, one of those things that have a
yellow spongey bit one side and a green scrubby bit the other. My strimmer
is running well on one of these. Have you triwed running it without the air
filter? Bear in mind of course that then it will run weak and may nheed the
choke.

Steve