Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default Briggs & Stratton engine not running smoothly

One other thing I've noticed: when first starting the engine (even
after only a few minutes' break in running), it seems to run nice and
smoothly for maybe ten seconds or so before starting to cough and
splutter again.

Sound like overfueling.
Without seeing the type of carb used on this engine I would imagine the
problem is with either the rubber diaphragm often located at the base of the
carb, or
Some carbs have an automatic choke butterfly which is supposed to flip back
once the engine is running this may be sticking. or
It has a manual choke you have forgotten to open.

Mike