Old 06-05-2009, 08:58 AM
robinfrance robinfrance is offline
Registered User

Location: Normandy, France

Hi Bob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
Hunting is when an engine speeds up and then slows down of it's own accord
instead of ticking over. This is usually caused by fuel starvation and
usually a dirty carburettor is the cause, sometimes a knackered fuel pump
but mowers don't have those.

However you mention it's using a lot more fuel than normal and making black
smoke which suggests it's actually running rich. Others have mentioned a
stuck choke but it could also be a stuck float in the carburettor. My
suggestion is to remove, partly dismantle, and clean the carb, just taking
the top of is usually enough to clean it out (use petrol not water). Make
sure the float moves easily and that there is no muck in the float chamber.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like taking the top off the carb and giving it a good clean out is a sensible place to start. If that doesn't do the trick I guess I'll have to try taking the carb off to see what's underneath it.

It'll probably be the weekend before I get to it – I'll post back with an update.

Thanks again to all,

Rob