Old 07-05-2009, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeff[_14_] Jeff[_14_] is offline

Default arugula germination

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Jeff said:

I'm a beginning vegetable gardener in Atlanta.

From seed, I've planted, snow peas, cantaloupe, honeydew, cucumbers,
carrots and arugula several weeks ago.

It's all up and growing except the arugula. I planted this very
shallow (less than a quarter inch) and have lightly watered the soil
every day.

I'm thinking that I need to restart the arugula crop. What should I
do this time?

Get fresh seed, I guess.

I think the seed was fresh and I believe Ferry Morse.

Try germinating some of what you have left
in a sterile potting mix. If anything comes up, you can transplant it
out into the garden. But if your carrots came up ok and your arugula
didn't, it seems to me that there is likely something wrong with the
arugula seed.

I'm concerned about your mix of plants. If it's warm enough for melons
and cucumbers, you're well past your ideal date for planting snow peas
and arugula.

I see this bit about warm weather and cool weather plants, but it
looked to me that they should all needed to be planted in early April. I
suppose I should have put these in a starter tray earlier. The melons
took a while to come up, as did the cukes, the snow peas took off. Next
year I'll adjust as you suggested.

What green do you think I should put in place of the Arugula?

Jeff