Old 07-05-2009, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Little Paul Little Paul is offline

Default courgettes potting on?

On 2009-05-06, Duncan wrote:

Anyone know any good recipes for rhubarb and escargot, currently my most
productive crops?

not so keen on the escargot, but I made some lovely rhubarb jam last
year when I got bored of eating crumble.

Recipe approximately as follows:

Put equal weight rhubarb and jam sugar in a bowl and cover with clingfilm.
If you like, you can add some fresh ginger at this stage as well. Leave
it in the fridge overnight and the sugar will extract some of the moisture.

Put the lot in jam pan and gently heat until the sugar desolves. Bring to the
boil and cook until it's ready to set.

You can test for setting by dropping a spoonful of jam onto a saucer
and then pushing it with a fingernail. If the surface crinkles it's
ready for bottling (in hot sterile jars) If it doesn't, boil for another
5 minutes or so and test again.

If a scum forms on the top, a knob of butter will usually disperse it
but I don't always bother as it doesn't appear to cause any storage
issues.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com