Old 07-05-2009, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Little Paul Little Paul is offline

Default courgettes potting on?

Little Paul writes
On 2009-05-06, Duncan wrote:

Anyone know any good recipes for rhubarb and escargot, currently my most
productive crops?

not so keen on the escargot, but I made some lovely rhubarb jam last
year when I got bored of eating crumble.

Recipe approximately as follows:

Put equal weight rhubarb and jam sugar in a bowl and cover with clingfilm.
If you like, you can add some fresh ginger at this stage as well. Leave
it in the fridge overnight and the sugar will extract some of the moisture.

That's a brilliant idea! It means you don't have to add water to
dissolves the sugar, so you don't have to spend time boiling off the
added water.

I should have mentioned that "overnight" is about right, but "24 hours" is
a bit too long. You don't want to extract so much of the water from the
rhubarb that the remaining flesh becomes dehydrated and chewey :-)

If you're not planning on making jam in the morning, put it in the fridge
before you go to work and it should be ready for when you get home.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com