Old 07-05-2009, 04:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Lawnmower Blad Sharpening

On May 7, 3:19*am, Rob_H wrote:
Hi,

I have been given a Qualcast Cylinder lawnmower and I suspect the
blades need sharpening, can anyone recomend a tool/method of doing this
myself or someone that will be able to sharpen my blades in the High
Wycombe/bucks area?

Thanks

Rob.

--
Rob_H

I use a hand held angle grinder, which you can pick up for about $40
or so. I remove the blade, place the blade on the bottom of a
turned over 5 gallon bucket, hold it in place with my foot, and grind
away. If you want to be safer about it, you could put it in a
vice. Another alternative is a bench grinder, but I find it easier
to get at all the areas of the blade, especially mulching type blaeds,
with the angle grinder. They sell little cone shaped widgets for a
couple bucks that you can set the blade on to make sure it's
balanced. If needed, you just take some more material off the heavier
end.

If you want someone to sharpen it for you, look in the yellow pages
under mowers or lawn and garden eqpt. If you go that route, probably
best to buy an extra blade so you have a spare.