Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Trouble growing Lily of the Valley

On 2009-05-07 19:18:39 +0100, moghouse said:

On May 7, 7:06*pm, Sacha wrote:
I'm going to find some vile old compost, a couple of stone of rubble
and chuck some bulbs into a container with it. *I'll let you know ne

xt
year!

Perhaps you should omit the compost?

I could chuck in a handful of tin tacks if it would help!

I was thinking more in terms of if you could build a brick wall half
way across the container - mine are real garden wall huggers.

We've planted them in a small, shaded bed with shallow soil against a
hedge; an open bed which is well-drained and raised with good, deep
soil; a south facing bed among shrubs and moist-ish; a very narrow bed
of totally shaded, poor soil up against the house wall facing east bed.
I've done everything with the damned things other than throw them
over my left shoulder while reciting To Be or Not To Be and garotting a
frog with my right hand. In other gardens I've more or less repeated
these attempts and I can only conclude that even while my favourite
perfume is Diorissimo (gentlemen may care to Google this) the darned
things will not repay the compliment!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials