Old 07-05-2009, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Luton[_2_] Paul Luton[_2_] is offline

Default courgettes potting on?

wafflycat wrote:

"Duncan" wrote in message
I have some courgette seedlings raised individually in 3 inch pots -
an F1 variety with yellow fruit.
The plants are at the 2 true-leaf stage. They are quite big (4-6"
high) but do not look mature. I was planning on planting them out in a
couple of weeks. Should I pot them on into bigger pots first, or keep
them in these same pots until I plant them in their final positions?

And if I may.. on the same subject: courgettes.. I have got several
courgettes (golden zucchini) that are now in big pots and rapidly
getting potbound. Each seems to grow visibly by the hour, and each has
lots of male flowers and budding zucchini (the zucchini are currently
about 1.5cm long). Some of the male flowers are on the point of opening.
Do I need to remove the male flowers to prevent bitter tasting zucchini
developing, in the same way as some cucumbers require some flowers to be
removed to stop the cucumbers becoming bitter?

In a word NO - I think that they do need pollinating.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames