Old 08-05-2009, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Smith Judith Smith is offline

Default courgettes potting on?

On Thu, 7 May 2009 09:23:16 +0100, K wrote:

AriesVal writes
On Wed, 6 May 2009 23:34:35 +0100, Duncan wrote:

I have some courgette seedlings raised individually in 3 inch pots - an F1
variety with yellow fruit.
The plants are at the 2 true-leaf stage. They are quite big (4-6" high) but
do not look mature. I was planning on planting them out in a couple of
weeks. Should I pot them on into bigger pots first, or keep them in these
same pots until I plant them in their final positions?

Personally I never pot on any kind of squash plant but put them straight
into their cropping positions as soon as they have several leaves and no
frosts are forecasts. I already have two courgette plants outside where
they've been for about 10 days now but I live in the SW of UK where temps
are usually warmer than further north. If a frost is threatened I cover
tender plants with fleece - works for me HTH

I pot courgettes on once there are a reasonable number of roots poking
out of the bottom - either into a bigger pot or straight into their
final 12inch or bigger pot. My impression is that they are greedy plants
which like to keep growing, so I try not to check their growth by
keeping them in too small a pot - at least until they are a productive
size, when I am limited by greenhouse space!

Do you think there is much advantage over growing in open ground
rather than say in 10 inch pots?