Old 08-05-2009, 10:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default arugula germination

Jeff said:

I see this bit about warm weather and cool weather plants, but it
looked to me that they should all needed to be planted in early April. I
suppose I should have put these in a starter tray earlier. The melons
took a while to come up, as did the cukes, the snow peas took off. Next
year I'll adjust as you suggested.

What green do you think I should put in place of the Arugula?

Summer greens

....hmmm...
Some spinach-y stuff, like vegetable amaranth, New Zealand spinach,
and Malabar spinach--this is a vine.

Another unusual summer green is red orach.

And there's a type of mallow that's grown for its leaves. I planted this
once and let it go to seed. Pops up in the garden by itself, now.

Purslane, the weed, also available in a larger, more upright, and prettier
cultivar.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored