Old 08-05-2009, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trouble growing Lily of the Valley

On 2009-05-07 13:05:16 +0100, moghouse said:

I don't know why this did not occur to me before when we were talking
about LotV, but on my way back from the greenhouse just now I passed a
container that nudged my memory.
While sorting out one of my cold frames a few weeks ago I came across
several small pots of LotV that I had potted up last year but did not
get sold. Not needing any more in the garden, I stuck them all in an
empty container. They are now thriving and just coming on to bloom. Of
course I cannot say yet if they will continue to do well there but I
don't see why not. So if you have a garden that will not accept LotV
why not try them in a container?

I'm going to find some vile old compost, a couple of stone of rubble
and chuck some bulbs into a container with it. I'll let you know next
year!

Bulbs?! If you've got bulbs rather than rhizomes ("pips") then I'm not
surprised you haven't got LofV coming up! Any chance of you getting some
"in the green" and planting those? At least you'll know you've got healthy
stock.

--
Jeff