Old 10-05-2009, 04:12 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Richard Evans Richard Evans is offline

Default Staking tomatoes

I have ten plants in containers on my deck that are all going
gangbusters. So much so, I'm having trouble supporting them. When I
bought the original plants, I bought several of the wire cages, but
put off using them until the plants got too big to get into the cages.
I started staking with 4' bamboo, but I'm already past the ends of
those and now side shoots are starting to need staking. I lost one
really vigorous plant because it got top heavy and snapped off at the
base before I got to stake it. Fortunately, it's coming back from the
base and should be OK.

Then the big wind came through last night and knocked them all over,
causing more damage.

Should I:

A. Continue staking, using longer stakes and adding stakes for the
side shoots?

B. Prune the side shoots and continue to stake the main stems?

C. Other?

The last tomatoes I did, when I had a real garden, got to over eight
feet tall. I don't know how I'll handle that if the current crop gets
that big.