Old 18-05-2009, 01:53 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Wes Dukes Wes Dukes is offline

Default Here Come the Deer again

On 2009-04-15, wrote:
I had to replace 4 of my roses because of the damage they caused last
year and now they are back. Any new ideas? Anyone tried a new
product?
I have motion lights have tried hair, Irish Spring soap, pinwheels
and probably a dozen other things I can't think of right now. I don't
think I can take another year of disappointment. Thanks for any help.

MJ

Here is my first version of a refillable deer repeller that seems to
work for me.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Deer...er-refillable/

I have since made a second kind but I never put it on instructables.

For it I had some 3/4 inch PVC pipe that I cut into 18 inch lengths and
I bought some endcaps for it.

I marked each pipe at the 6 and 12 inch marks and diagonally sawed them
on my bandsaw so I now had two 12 inch pipes with a pointed end I
couldput in the ground. I poked paper towels or cotton balls in the 6
inch intact part of the pipe and drilled 4 holes at 90 degree angles
Just below where the caps stopped. I spray painted mine black. I used
a syringe to squirt a diluted mixture of the deer repellant into them,
and put the cap in place. You have to keep them fairly close together.
For example every 3-4 feet or in the middle of a 3 foot diameter hosta.

I have not put mine out this year, but I have put so much barrier up in
the form of movable and fixed fences that I have had no damage yet.
Plus the rain means there is more browse in the woods for them to munch
on. I do see tracks between my garden and the greenway though.

I did a quick job and put 5 photos on flickr. Hope this helps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/level6/...7618411107436/

is a garbage address.