Old 18-05-2009, 02:58 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Wes Dukes Wes Dukes is offline

Default Rotten strawberries

On 2009-04-28, Richard Evans wrote:
KTTT wrote:

Mulch will help to reduce rotting significantly since the surface of the
mulch will dry out much faster than that of top soil after watering.

Even if the mulch does not dry out fast, because of the coarse nature of
the mulch, there is less surface area where the strawberry and the mulch
are in contact with one another. Less wet surface area translated to
less rotting.

What kind of mulch do you recommend? Pine straw? Bark? Pulverized
rubber? Bear in mind I only have eight plants in a circular three-foot
container.

This is hindsight, but I notice Pick it yourself farms use plastic with
the plants poking out of holes. You might try plastic or landscaping
fabric that allows moisture to pass. you just need some kind of barrier
between soil and berry.

is a garbage address.