Old 18-05-2009, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default Which type should I start with

All right then, good for you.
Rule #1 ....... Do not over water, or too often. ie. every other day!!
Once a week & that depends on how dry & warm the weather is.
The surface of the potting mix would look & feel dry but could be quite
moist down under.
Some people stick their fingers in to test but a clean pencil works well, it
absorbs moisture.
Anyway, enjoy your plant & good luck!
Cheers Wendy (Hoping more folks will chime in with more rules)

"PeterGreenMan" wrote in message

Wendy7;844752 Wrote:
Dear PeterGreenMan,
I notice that your post is out of the gardenbanter so I
think
you are from across the pond no?

Important factors are shaded sunlight & watering habits.
In
the mean time, check out Ray's web site, he is amazingly knowledgeable
& always helpful.
Good luck!
Cheers Wendy

"PeterGreenMan" wrote in
message
...-

I've never grown orchids before but would like to grow ones that have
vivid rich colours. I know there are several types but which type
should I start with as a beginner? Thanks

--
PeterGreenMan -

Hi wendy7.
Yep. Wales UK.
Just gone and bought a phalaenopsis fingers crossed...... got it
yesterday and it is still living!!

--
PeterGreenMan