Old 14-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Brigitte J.

Default Anyone recommend Craftsman 6.5HP lawnmower (37836)

"Stephen Kurzban" wrote in message

Sears Craftsman line of mowers are made by MTD, but that is
not likely the whole story if you think about what they have
done with refrigerators. Yup, refrigerators. I had always
figured there was no better brand to buy than Sears and when
I was younger, never saw one go bad.

However, the regrig. I bought from them was C*H*E*A*P
J*U*N*K! Come to find out they negotiate special contracts
with the manufacturers for thinner metal, inferior
insulation and parts. Perhaps they do this with MTD as
well.

Steven Kolak wrote:

Wow! I can't believe I started such an indepth discussion/war on
Craftsman.

Anyway, I thought I would update you that I bought the model 37836
model THEN returned it the same day! The height adjuster on the rear
right wheel was loose, and it wouldn't stay in the setting. From my
understanding, this is a new model for this year. It also seemed to
be somewhat of a cheap feel compared to the other Craftman models.
For example, the plastic controls and plastic guarding around the
engine looked/felt like it was of cheaper than normal Craftsman
material. Also, the bag had to be put together a bit and interfaced
with a plastic piece that interfaced with the lawnmower. I just
wasn't that impressed. Maybe it is Craftsman's way to get more people
to buy $259. self propelled lawnmowers. Maybe it was just me!

I am still lawnmower-less. I am sure another Craftsman will come on
sale in Massachusetts before lawnmowing season, and I will look at
other brands as well.

Steve

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message

t.net...
"Steve" wrote in message
I have a Crapsman self propeled with front wheel drive. Too bad

the
drive
crapped out right after the warrantee did. Now the real meaning of
self-propeled comes thru. I PUSH IT mySELF!

This seems to be the weak link in Crapsman's crap -- the self-propel
transmission. The engines are generally OK as they're Briggs or

Tecsumeh
and typically will run for a long time with proper maintenance.

I think when people look back on their old 1960's Crapsman push mower

that
ran for 20 years, they forget that it was basically an engine with a
spinning blade and steel shell. The new ones have a lot more to go

wrong --
transmissions, safety cutoffs, etc. etc.

I should have mentioned -- I told the story of my Crapsman that had

the
tranny go out before the end of its third season. I forgot to mention

that
the speed-control assembly failed just out of warranty (one year)

which put
me back about $50 (part only) as well. Basically a cable broke, but

the way
it's manufactured, I had to replace the whole speed control lever and

all.

We had a Deere lawn tractor growing up and I don't think it ever had

any
parts added except belts, a battery, etc. It was bought in about

1982, and
it finally left the family last year when my brother sold his home and

moved
to a house with a tiny yard. The mower wasn't that well cared for --

it was
missing several safety guards, mice had eaten the stuffing out of the

seat,
etc, but it still ran fine, and he sold it within days for $1500.

Kind of
scary when you can buy a brand new MTD for $900 at Wal-mart...

-Tim

Craftsman mowers are good if you expect only one year of use. Personally, I
don't feel a $350.00 lawnmower ought to be considered disposable, but I
believe Craftsman does.

Brigitte