Old 26-05-2009, 10:05 PM
tizfreespirit tizfreespirit is offline
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi, tizfreespirit, I think you were badly advised as IMO it's much too late to be moving any plants, but especially roses and especially as the weather has now turned very warm. the only hope that you have is to cut off all the leaves (if thereare any left) and reduce all the growth to about 20cms from the main stem to reduce water loss from the plant as much as possible, if the new position is north facing you could also try to cover the pruned plant in plastic, which will also help with water loss (but not if it gets any sun as it will cook) but I fear that it may already be too late. If you decide to replant then that will be fine, one variety that is very vigorous and would grow along the top of the fence (to stop anybody from climbing over ? ) is one called Rosa filipes 'Kiftsgate' it has clusters of creamy white fragrant flowers but its rate of growth is staggerng, easily growing to 8to10 meters. Just out of interest the plant that I sell the most as being burgler unfriendly is Pyracantha , because it is so very thorny.
Best of luck with your problem, lannerman.
Thankyou so much for the advise I will give it all a try, altho the fragrant one sounds lovely - this one wasnt expensive so might just get a new one, although i hate giving up on it maybe if i tell it if it doesnt buck its ideas its heading for the chop I might scare it into life, seems to work with the house plants ha ha!!!