Old 27-05-2009, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jonathan Campbell Jonathan Campbell is offline

Default Early potatoes, elapsed time from plant to harvest?

Ed wrote:
On 27/05/09 11:37, Jonathan Campbell wrote:
I planted a few Red Duke of York in pots, and indoors, on March 9th.
After a month or so, when abundant foliage had appeared, I put them
outside.

[...]

Out of interest,,,, why did you plant some of your spuddies in pots
before you put them outside?

Pots because I had to transport them (to the outside). Indoors because I
wanted to get them off to an early start, i.e. well before the soil
outside had reached 6 C for a few days. Moreover, when they were
outside, I wanted to be able to carry them indoors again if frost was
forecast.

Just an experiment. Two of the 'pots' are B&Q plastic buckets with holes
in the bottom.

Best regards,

Jon C.

--