Old 28-05-2009, 01:02 PM posted to triangle.gardens
doctoroe doctoroe is offline

Default Problems growing leland cypress

It's most likely the shade. They need some sun. Also, Thuja Green
Giant is a fast grower and lasts longer than the Leyland. You might
try those.

On May 28, 7:57*am, yeahyeahyeah wrote:
Hi there,
I have a section in back yard between me and a neighbor that is very
wet. There are some large trees in the immediate area but for years I
have been trying grow leland cypress to create a natural screen
between the two properties. My understanding is that leland cypress
get very big very quickly which is what I want. Unfortunately I've

been trying for several years and the growth is almost nothing. One
tree has grown, maybe, 6 inches in 3 years--and that only happened
because last year I watered it 2x daily.

The area also has a lot of shade because of the oak and maples nearby.
So I'm not sure if it's the minimal direct sunlight, the wet soil or a
nutrient deficiency in the soil. Any ideas?

Also, if these conditions aren't good for leland cypress can anyone
make a recommendation for another tree that could that I could cluster
for a suitable screen effect?

Many thanks,
YYY