Old 29-05-2009, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default Early potatoes, elapsed time from plant to harvest?

In message , Jonathan Campbell
writes
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
I planted a few Red Duke of York in pots, and indoors, on March 9th.
After a month or so, when abundant foliage had appeared, I put them
outside.
Any ideas when they should be ready to harvest. A book says elapsed
time plant to harvest of about 75 days for earlies --- which is about
now from the 9th March. However, the weather has been a little colder
normal (I'm in North West Ireland).
I see flowers appearing on *other* Red Duke of Yorks that I planted
outside on 19th March, but none on the 9th March (pots) ones.

I upended one of the pots today --- that's 85 days after planting.

About 20 potatoes on the plant. Size for about 40-mm diameter down to
10-mm (majority the latter). So they will need another two weeks at
least.

The could have been affected by the lower average temperature. Or, lack
of water; since it there was much rain, and the potatoes planted in the
ground would not have needed watering, I assumed the same for those in
the pots. But perhaps the pots dry out more quickly.

My potatoes aren't even in flower yet.
--
June Hughes