Old 30-05-2009, 01:27 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Hello,

Has anyone bought any of these so-called super berries? I have seen
them advertised in the various catalogues. As I understand it arona
berries are very tart so cannot be eaten off the bush but honey
berries are supposed to taste like sweet blueberries. is this true?
What do goji berries taste like?

I see that Thompson-Morgan's prices seem to be lower than everyone
else's but they do list small plants; how small? Perhaps the more
expensive catalogues are selling older, larger plants? Are they? Has
anyone ordered any and from whom and what size were they?

TIA
Aronia http://www.aroniaberry.org/

Goji Also called The Duke of Argyll's Teaplant. Grows freely in the UK, but frankly I have never managed to find any berries on the plants we had.

Honeyberry is a lonicera.

As a matter of principle, when buying bushes for fruiting, do not go for the tiny ones sold mail order. They take far longer to establish. Look for well-grown plants, buy in autumn or spring, and see if the supplier will guarantee that the plants will berry. Also check carefully to see if you need more than one in order to have a pollinator.

There is some evidence that our own home-grown freshly picked fruits are just as good, and possibly better for you, than these imported plants.