Old 02-06-2009, 08:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Frank is offline

Default Do bags of fertilizer get old?

On Jun 1, 8:41*pm, mm wrote:
Do bags of fertilizer get old?

A store was going out of business, so I bought 2 years worth of the
fertilizer products, the kind that comes in 4 different kinds,
numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4 for spring, early summer etc.

I've decided not to use the stuff, so I want to sell it or give it
away, but I don't know if it is still worth anything.

Grass seed gets much older and less viable every year, but fertilizer
and crabgrass killer don't have to germinate. *

So how good are these products 3 or 4 years after I bought them?

Thanks.

Fertilizer should not decay. I would also doubt the chemicals for
crabgrass and weeds will decay much if at all. I used left over
premerge crabgrass stuff on my lawn with no problem. Most important
is keep them dry and seal opened bags against moisture and humidity.
My local KMart is crappy on this and I no longer buy from them as they
leave stuff outside in a storage lot before bringing in.