Old 02-06-2009, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default "super" berries: goji, honeyberry, arona

On Sat, 30 May 2009 15:18:09 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On 30 May, 23:10, Dave Hill wrote:
On 30 May, 12:44, "Phil Gurr" wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message

.. .

I see that Thompson-Morgan's prices seem to be lower than everyone
else's but they do list small plants; how small? Perhaps the more
expensive catalogues are selling older, larger plants? Are they? Has
anyone ordered any and from whom and what size were they?

Thompson & Morgan are the 'pits'. You order from a catalogue which has the
delivery date of May. When you receive the order confirmation the delivery
date has changed to August - then the latest catalogue says September. And
all this time they have your money. Still, don't worry, the plants probably
won't grow anyway so all that you have lost is your hard earned cash!

Phil

I have just had 4 very nice plants of Hydrangea Magical Amethyst from
T & M they werer on offer at £2.50 for 9cm pot, the plants are 12 to
18 inches high and good, delivery was for June and they arrived today,
Posted Thursday from Jersey, the last plants I had from them took less
than 24 hours and arived 10 days after ordering..
Hayloft plants are asking £18.00 + p&p for same size pothttp://www.hayloft-plants.co.uk/hydrangea/macrophylla-magical-amethys...

Now regarding Goji berries, you have to be carefull f some of the
stock being sold in the UK Bare rooted.
concerns of disease being passed to other plants such as tomatoes and
potatoes, full information of which can be found athttp://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/lycium.pdf. We are aware DEFRA are also
currently investigating the fact that certain other suppliers have
been importing their Goji's from China via Holland - thus securing a
false European Plant Passport and we understand prosecutions are
likely. Most of these plants we understand are bare rooted (and were
shown on BBC Gardeners World). Our Goji plants and our production
methods were fully inspected and approved by DEFRA as at the 23 April
2008. A further bulletin from DEFRA can be viewed athttp://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2008/080430b.htm. Should you become aware
of any of these bare rooted plants and/or incorrectly certified plants
we urge you to contact DEFRA directly as the impact on UK grown
potatoes and tomatoes would be huge if disease was introduced.
The berries will begin to set in autumn. The ripe fruit are sweet and
juicy and almost shiny in appearance. The flowers will continue to
bloom right up until the first frosts, however, so your plants will be
red, white and purple throughout late summer and autumn.- Hide quoted text -

I first came accross Goji Berries when I found a bush growing behind
an empty property in Barry Dock (South Wales) around 20 years ago, I
got cuttings and grew a couple for a few yeras , I knew it as the Duke
of Argyll's Tea Tree, never heard of super fruits, and as it is a
member of the Solanium family I didn't try eating it.
I am growing it again and am expecting my plants to flower this year
for the first time.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

I ordered goji berry plants from T&M last year. The plants have
overwintered, in a big pot, but so far no sign of flowers. I heard
warnings about the origins of goji berry plants after I had bought
mine and phoned T&M who assured me their stock were safe.
I've heard of the Duke of Argyll's tea tree but had no idea what it
is. Time will tell. I've only eaten dried goji berries; very
tasteless!

Pam in Bristol